Monday 23 May 2011

simply Less is More #16 - Butterflies

It took me a while to get my head around what to do with the Simply Less is More Challenge # 16 - Butterflies. And even when I did get an idea, it didn't quite translate as well on paper  (again, I know).

Anyway, here's my second attempt. Design's slightly different than originally planned but it does incorporate all the techniques I wanted to include.

It's almost an OLC with all images stamped directly on the card. However, I thought the main butterfly needed a bit more focus so I popped on a frame.

Much as I'd like to share all the details, I don't have them all - lost details for sentiment and the focal butterfly. The background one is from the Stampin Up Cottage Garden set.  What I can share fully are the techniques:

  1. Wet emboss (all the butterflies including main one + the frame in Dazzling Diamonds)
  2. Emboss-resist using Distress Inks (Tumbled Glass). I stamped the sentiment on first in black and then the butterflies using Versamark with clear embossing powder
  3. Dry emboss (I know you can barely see the line but it's there)....and, wait for it.....
  4. Acetate!!!! I thought I really had to give it another go (Mandi and Chris have a lot to answer for, haven't they?). It made the frame look real.

So while I didn't combine challenges this time, I combined techniques instead. Fun!!

In my last post (with stitching and bling), I asked for tips on taking photos and Valerie (CraftAttack) very kindly pointed me to Susan Goetter's tutorial. Thank you both. Unfortunately, I don't have a lamp like Susan's so my photo is still very yellow. I will try again tomorrow during daytime here.
updated photo: taken during daytime. makes a difference methinks. :-)

Finally, I love all your comments and wish I could visit all of you back. There is the time issue, of course. HOWEVER, perhaps you can make it a little quicker and easier for me (and all others you visit), if you please put in a quick link to your blog in the comment so I don't have to go via your Blogger profile. My IT tips page has a quick tutorial on how to do just that.

Cheers all!

11 comments:

  1. Lovely card Malyn
    the sparkle looks beautiful
    Thanks for your loyalty
    Diva LIM mandi
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, love the layout and the soft blue. My card is here http://pauline-littlemrsp.blogspot.com/2011/05/less-is-more-cr84fn-29-cas-ual-fridays.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful card and pretty colors

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really pretty card. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Malyn, lovely card, that frame is just perfect. You should find you can click on the persons name at the beginning of the comment and it will take you to their profile page with blog title list on it :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again Malyn, That's a very pretty card, photo's can be very tricky especially at night, your second is much clearer:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, Malyn! I do try to visit all who post a card, and it is definitely difficult! I work 50+ hours a week so I totally understand limited time!

    My card is HERE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty card!!! LOVE all your different resist techniques and that acetate frame is gorgeous!!!! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Malyn, Just wanted to say, Thank you for your lovely comments, I think that's probably one of the nicest compliments I've had, you're a sweetie, have fun:0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great card, well done :O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete

Your visit and comments are most appreciated. Cheers!