Sunday 19 June 2011

CFC #7 - Colour Blocks

Another super-fun challenge (#7) at CAS-ual Fridays.  Colour blocks.  I've been wanting to do this for a long time now so this was a perfect opportunity to do so.  My initial thoughts were to use paper using this sketch from Jennifer McGuire, which I first saw in a PaperCrafts magazine.

BUT, I changed my mind.  Instead I decided to go with colour blocks using inks.  Yep, inky-inky messy fingers.  Here it is....

To be honest, this was my second attempt.  The first one was more like this "hi" card I made a while ago (click photo to take you to the post).  I love this card and have not managed to give it away.  Anyway, I wanted to do this technique again but this time I wasn't so successful.  In fact, it got too inky and messy. Let's just say, I followed the sentiment on the card. This is far more CAS, believe me. :)

The deets:
Distress Inks: Shabby Shutters, Tumbled Sky, Worn Lipstick, Spicy Marmalade
Dye Inks: Stampin Up Old Olive, Tempting Turquoise
Stamps: HA Friends definition, Tim Holtz set, small flower from SU Always
Punches: EK notebook border, SU 3/4" and 1/2 " circles

I was going to stamp the text in black but it was too 'in your face'; lucky I tried on scrap paper first!  Also, the background flowers in Old Olive were stamped off first for a more subtle effect which ties in better with the distress ink. I used dye ink because I wanted a cleaner finish than I would get with the distress inks being too wet.

Colour-blocking technique:

  1. Tear up a piece of copy paper to form a wavy edge
  2. Position this as a mask on the Friends background stamp - expose about a third length-wise
  3. Put a post-it note or copy paper to expose just about an inch of the stamp.
  4. Ink up exposed stamp (it's a teensy bit)
  5. Lift up post-it and position a bit further down
  6. Ink up the un-inked bit with another colour
  7. Repeat 5 and 6 until you've inked the entire length
  8. Leaving your stamp facing up (don't lift it), position your card on top of it and press - upside-down stamping is fun!  For best results, use a brayer - the pressure applied is more even this way.
  9. I also sponged in a bit more colour using the same inks.

There you have it.  It's messy so be careful. I actually covered up the white side as I did my sponging (step 9) in fear of leaving some unwanted fingerprints.

Now, for another post....

4 comments:

  1. I love both your cards. They both turned out GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you have created your colour blocks with the text background, it's sooo clever! Such a gorgeous mix of colours and a fab sentiment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! Love the gradient text stamping and your focal image is beautiful! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work!
    Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Your visit and comments are most appreciated. Cheers!